Time to get your house prepared for the cooler months!
EXTERIOR HOME MAINTENANCE
- When performing fall home maintenance, start by checking the home’s foundation for cracks, then caulk around the areas where masonry meets siding, where pipes or wires enter the house and around the windows and door frames to prevent heat from escaping.
- Install storm windows and doors and remove screens. Before storing, clean and repair screens, spray with a protective coating and place in a dry area of the garage.
- Inspect exterior walls to see if any paint is peeling or blistering on the house or outbuildings.
- Make sure the roof is in good shape. Inspect for missing and loose shingles.
- After leaves have fallen, clean out the gutters and downspouts, flush them with water, inspect joints and tighten brackets. Replace old or damaged gutters with new ones that have built-in leaf guards.
- Weather-strip your garage door. Make sure the seal between your garage door and the ground is tight to prevent drafts and keep out small animals.
- Inspect your driveway for cracks. Clean out and repair any damage with driveway filler, then coat with a commercial sealer.
INTERIOR HOME MAINTENANCE
- Have your HVAC system serviced and inspected by a licensed contractor.
- Change the direction of your ceiling fan to create an upward draft that redistributes warm air from the ceiling.
- Test and change the batteries in your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors.
PORCH AND DECK MAINTENANCE
1. Check the supports, stairs, and railings on porches and decks. Be sure the handrails will support someone slipping on wet or icy surfaces.
2. Stain or paint wood surfaces to prevent warping, sun damage and splintering. Guests will appreciate your home maintenance efforts.