Use this Spring Home Maintenance Checklist to Get Your Home Ready for Summer!
Exterior Home Maintenance:
- Check the home’s foundation for deterioration and use caulk around the areas where masonry meets siding, where pipes or wires enter the house and around the windows and door frames to prevent heating/cooling from escaping.
- Inspect exterior surfaces for weathering and peeling paint.
- Be sure that water doesn’t pool around your foundation.
- Inspect windows and doors for broken glass, breached seals and damaged screens.
- Ensure window and door hardware operates properly.
- Check roof for missing, loose or damaged shingles, flashing, fascia and soffits.
- Clean gutters and downspouts, flush them with water, inspect joints and tighten brackets. Replace old or damaged gutters with new ones that have built-in leaf guards.
- Examine plumbing supply valves and water heater for leaks and corrosion.
- Inspect sinks, showers, toilets and bathtubs for leaks.
Interior Home Maintenance:
- Check the attic and ceiling for water intrusion. Look for moisture on ceilings and around windows and doors.
- Check stairs and railings for loose or damaged parts or materials.
- Test smoke alarms and change the batteries every 6 months.
- Inspect tile grout and re-grout as necessary to prevent deterioration.
- Check the caulking around showers, bathtubs, sinks and toilets.
- Clean or service your HVAC system and change the air filters.
- Remove materials and household items, from around the system, that may prevent air-flow.
- Have an electrician test circuit breakers and ground-fault/arc-fault interrupters.
Porch & Patio Maintenance:
- Check the supports, stairs and railings on porches and decks. Be sure the handrails will support someone slipping on wet or icy surfaces.
- Check that your mailbox is functioning and conforms to the USPS Guidelines.
- Inspect outdoor light fixtures and replace the light bulbs.